Friday 19 January 2018

‘Any less than 10 hours and I feel grumpy’: meet the clean sleepers

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jan/19/any-less-10-hours-feel-grumpy-meet-clean-sleepers


I came across this article and thought I would share it with you. I rarely have more than 5 hours a night, I wish I could sleep more, but I just don't as a rule.


At the end of the piece are a few things to help with sleep. Here they are, for those of you who fell asleep reading the article! I might try some myself.


1 Wind down for an hour before bed. Go into a room that is comfortable, write down any problems you have or things you need to do. Don’t go on your phone or a screen – blue light from these devices affects the production of melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep. Deep breathing and yogic exercises will reduce adrenaline levels.


2 Keep the bedroom cool, dark and quiet; these are biological indicators to the body that it’s time to sleep.


3 Don’t use the bed as a workspace or somewhere to watch TV. The brain needs to learn that the bed is for sleeping in, not for lying in without sleep.


4 The brain likes routine. If you do the same thing every night, it will fall into a pattern.


Below is somebody who has no sleep pattern issues. What a life Jet has! Have a great weekend.



8 comments:

  1. Funnily enough Elaine warned us about Zeitgebers a while ago ! Can’t believe I remembered the word 😂. I’m worst for sitting staring at cartoons when my kids are in bed, I don’t know why I do it but it takes me a good 45 mins to an hour to feel motivated to even move , when I do I must admit I watch tv in bed but I never usually have a problem rolling over and going to sleep, usually I’m just ready to drop though. I get a good 6- 7 hours myself , broken usually ! Oh the joys ! Interesting piece though might try the yoga at some point !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday, and I’m wide awake before 6, excellent! Oh well, it’ll give me time to look out a suitably garish golf outfit for a team golf event this morning. Plenty to choose from...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 hours, yeah right i wish! At most i get 6/7 hours and thats a really good night! I enjoy sitting up and watching box sets thats my mummy time, i can easily sit and drink a coffee havd a quick browse on fb and still get straight to sleep (crazy i know) i feel less sleep is better. I remember the days i could stay up all night and the next day still sleep only 7 hours and be fine funny enough i done it on friday stayed up all night and went to bed saturday about 10 got up at 4 then fell asleep about 6 then got up at 7, didnt feel any different. Anyways go sleep lol :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t think I’ve ever had 6 hours sleep in my life! I wonder if anybody will choose sleep as a theme for their presentation? Hope you’re all enjoying your time off. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough we all done presentations on sleep disorders for psychology !! That’s woulda been a good combination and easy prep subject x

      Delete
  5. Hey. Sleep disorders would make a very appropriate presentation topic actually if anybody is still unsure what they are going to deliver on. Some good possibilities all round in our class I’d say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its a shame people are spending money on gadgets to record their sleep patterns.. But I can understand why. I'm a terrible sleeper, hence being up at this time lol. I think a lot of companys are taking advantage because when your desperate for sleep you'll almost try anything. I know I would

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slightly off topic, but I see the new fad is buying anti snoring pillows. Seems sketchy as an idea if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete