Tuesday 21 November 2017

How virtual reality is taking dementia patients back to the future


https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/nov/20/virtual-reality-taking-dementia-patients-back-to-future-wayback-vr-film


I thought this was an interesting general article worth posting.


The notion that people living with dementia become more feeling beings than thinking beings is quite an interesting one I think.


I am glad to see that this innovative idea is bringing happiness to dementia sufferers, a trick of the mind if you like. It is clear that the users are uplifted, which is a clear positive.


The aim of The Wayback is to help spark memories and start conversations that grow harder to come by as the disease takes hold. The film struck a chord with the staff and the residents, both those living with dementia and those without, bringing back long lost memories for all.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUAjbO6X7F21JZ5tNTV49g - the WayBack reaction!


I hope this has raised a smile and made you reflect.


Mark









3 comments:

  1. Mark , this is funny timing actually. This article really hit home with me. As you know I am in New York at the moment. I know a lot of you probably think I’m out living the high life but in reality last week and the majority of next I am caring for my great aunt who has got severe dementia. The constant confusion and distress every day brings her is unreal, and witnessing it myself recently was quite upsetting, especially with us living so far apart. She wakes up in the morning thinking she’s back home as a child, and she needs to get back to her mum. Instead of reminding her of the facts like “ oh such and such is passed remember ? “ or “yes but you’re actually in America” we all play along to calm the situation as she’s often packing and distressed. However her home is on the Hudson river which reminds her of her home in Greenock when she was a child. It looks eerily similar and is almost identical in terms of landscape etc , and so if we sit her down looking at that she gets the sense that she is at home and will stop her distressed state and bring forward stories and pleasant conversation. This article is 100% , if the virtual reality can calm the patients and make them relax I think it’s a fantastic idea! And I wish I had one st times for my aunt !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashleigh, nice to hear from you. The power of visual memorisation is so important here, and I’m sure you’re keeping your great Aunt entertained and looking after her well. Thanks for your comments and a safe journey home. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. There has been some great leaps in technology since I was born that's a few years ago!But this has to be one of the best if not one of the greatest inovations in recent times.Like Ashleigh I've had relatives suffer from dementia in the past and it can be harrowing.Great that this treatment can help people a bit of positive news for a change.

    ReplyDelete