Tuesday 29 May 2018

Mark's Final Thoughts - last blog entry for the academic year

Hello dear Swapkins (your phrase, not mine!)


Well, here I am penning my last post of this blog for your Communication classes. It’s been an intense and, I hope, educational year for all of us (we learn too, you know!)


Please read my words and I would be grateful if you could add some words of your own at the bottom in the comments section. You may not wish to write as much as I have or follow the same cyclical structure, but your comments would be appreciated all the same, whether they be good, bad or indifferent.

We (lecturers) should, I believe, always be prepared to do the tasks which we ask students to do. So, in that spirit, I aim, right here and right now, to write my own reflections and evaluation of the year.


Structure is (arguably) the most important aspect of anything concerning Communication, so here is how I have put my words together:

- Introduction – motivation and expectations
- Positive experiences
- How my course could be improved
- Evaluation of my own performance
- Conclusion – what I have learned

Mark's Reflective Words

So, to start, what was my motivation and expectations at the beginning of the year? (Ah yes, the old, trusty question to get a written piece kick-started). Well, beside my big, fat salary (that's a joke, obviously), my motivation was to create a supportive but challenging learning environment to allow you all to develop as learners. That all sounds a bit woolly but I suppose that’s what teaching is for me. Sometimes the word “teach” is too blunt an instrument for my liking.

My expectation was that I would be working with a group of initially nervous, able and interesting students who would be ready for a challenge. I wasn’t wrong. I think we were all up for the challenge and although tough at times, I am certain we all learned a great deal along the way.

It’s impossible to predict how classes will gel, but from very early on it was clear that you all worked and really importantly, 'learned' very well together. This intra-class dynamic is crucial to the development of a positive learning environment - it was always a pleasure to walk into your classes.

This brings me to my positive experiences. To be honest, the positive experiences are really too numerous to mention. One of the most fundamental factors in teaching I think, is developing positive relationships with learners. I feel that I was lucky in developing such relationships with each and every one of the class. So, my primary positive experience is the sum of all these relationships. I also feel that the blog we created together was an amazing journey, and most certainly a labour of love in my case! I really hope you enjoyed the experience and the end product. Next year's group has a great deal to live up to, make no mistake about that. More than 5,600 hits at the time of me composing this post. That is truly incredible by the way. Brilliant.

But what about improvements? We always need to be aware of how things could be improved. So what about improvements in things that I have control of (and this segues into the evaluation of my own performance)? Well, that’s trickier as it requires a degree of self-criticism.

I suppose I’m asking myself "would I do anything different?" Well, I think I might time or pace assessments in a slightly different way next year. I was very aware of the amount of assessments that you needed to get through this year. I was always mindful of the fact that learners work at different paces, the style of teaching has to 'fit' the needs of the class and to that end, I made a conscious effort to space the assessments out.


We did speaking, reading, reading, speaking, listening, listening as the order with the writing pieces both integrated. That said, the way I paced the last two listening assessments worked particularly well. I think I will set a separate report out too instead of integrating both pieces as I feel this will help the writing skills of next year's recruits even better with my input. I will still have plenty time to get the assessments done.

My own organisation skills were tested throughout and it is anticipated that you all knew where you stood with the (eight) assessments needed to pass FA1W 12. However, what I can note is that having taught and managed undergraduate and postgraduate courses at university, I know without a shadow of a doubt that universities will be strict on making deadlines, so make sure you do not fall foul of any time challenges as it were. Maybe I need to go on about that even more next year. (Already I can see the rolling-eyes of students I haven’t yet met). Joking aside though, meeting deadlines is an important part of all aspects of life and I have mentioned this on MANY occasions...

So, what have I learned? Well, amongst other things I’ve learned about PMA, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, the good, the bad and the Anime, video games and education; hey, you get my drift! I’ve also learned (or re-learned) that if we’re coasting along then we’re probably not learning a lot. But when we feel we are on the very edges of our comfort zone, then, possibly, we are learning. That’s what learning feels like. It’s not always a pleasant feeling at the time - but it seems worth the discomfort in retrospect. This is an important thing for us as lecturers to remember. We force students out of their comfort zone a lot. How often do we move out of ours?

I always like to think that one of my strengths as an educator is my time management and feedback skills. This takes a lot of time and effort to get right, so hopefully this is an area where you feel I have given you my very best attention. Oh, and a light peppering of humour never hurts either I always feel. Life can be so dull without a wee bit of laughter. And laughter is something 'they'll' never take away from us.

I have spent a lot of time putting this blog together too and have really enjoyed the experience. I know that not all members of the parish are keen bloggers, but that's OK. I'm fine with that, I like to be flexible with my thought processes! The Blogettes, you know who you are, certainly engaged with the blog like no others. And this spurred on some others to step up which was great. Reflection really is important, however we approach it. My favourite handle was definitely 'OAP', class!

Another way of self-evaluating for me as a lecturer is asking the simple question "what did my students learn?" One way of getting a measure of that is by asking you to comment on the blog, e mail me, fill in the mid and end of unit questionnaires that I composed etc. and unless you're all telling fibs, it seems that you all learned something along the way!

It was apparent from informal and formal mechanisms that the oral presentation delivery was the biggest fear for many students in the beginning. Oral presentation teaching is one of my passions of all the different areas of communication I teach, so it was refreshing to listen to so many amazing talks. The collegiate approach shown by you as a class, the expertise of the PP slides and the question and answer sessions were really entertaining at times.

So, to finish (and I just love cyclical structures), let's go right back to a question we started with at the very beginning of our time together: what is the purpose of education and communication? No need to reply, but I wonder has anyone changed their mind on that one…


Please make a comment on this thread prior to our final reflection class on Monday 4th June.


And don't forget that the Newsnight Listening assessment is to be submitted by that date too. Well done to those who have already done so and passed.


It has been a genuine blast and don't forget to add me on Facebook if you are a social media type!

Take care,

Mr H



23 comments:

  1. Aww mark , can’t believe this is the last time I’ll be posting here. This year has flown in and I’ve loved having the blog at my disposal. I like all of the videos you’ve posted that we dont get a chance to cover In class it’s certainly brought on my skills! The assessments in comms have been enjoyable and well structured and I feel I was prepared not only in the time management aspect but in the structure which could be a drastic comparison to other classes where I may have often been unsure about what was being asked of me. Thank you for helping us this year I’ve enjoyed every minute and couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to take this journey with !! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts as always Ashleigh. You’re right, the class always appeared to be as one and there was never an issue with everybody working together to achieve the end goal. I was always glad to receive blog comments from everybody and I certainly enjoyed putting it together. We had Nurses being unfairly treated, somebody trying to blame their University for their poor performance nearly 20 years before, strategies to help Alzheimer’s sufferers (which you commented on from your time in New York), inspirational presenters and much more. I look forward to Monday where we can tie everything up and hopefully say you know what, that’s a job well done. Cheers, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last blog post we are within touching distance of completion - phew!
    I agree with Ashleigh expectations and deadlines have been made clear throughout the year especially in comparison to other classees. I have learned a great deal over the year and suprised at what has been achieved in a short space of time. I think changing the intergrated written peace could be a great investment for next years students, revisiting sentence structure, essay structure and everything that comes with that at the beginning of the year would be helpful with the level of feedback you provide. Thanks for all your help along the way. Rachel B :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. Thanks for your feedback Rachel, really helpful. Without deadlines and clear instruction comes chaos, and that’s not my way at all. I like order and that seems to have worked well for me as a strategy for over 20 years! Yes, I think I’ll introduce a writing exercise and associated teaching just after Xmas next year potentially, or may even start with it. There are many ways to achieve high standards but it requires planning on my part. See you next Monday. Mark

      Delete
  4. Well, well, well.. where do I begin. Jokes, i will try keep this short and sweet :) When i first began college and seen Communications on my timetable I was like really.. this is not going to be my strong subject. Well was I wrong! My journey and experience throughout was fantastic, I learned I have great time management skills, I need to open my mind to more things as I might enjoy them, etc. I feel this class has brought me on alot and widened my writing skills and listening skills! Hmm.. what could be improved? Im sure everyone would agree here that I feel everything that was expected of us was well taught and prior in advance so we knew what was coming, so for me nothing needs improving in your class!! Thank you Mark for everything you have taught us and it has been an amazing class everytime (apart from Jaime Oliver) besides that brill!! Thank you so much :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Raechael, some solid and measured comments as always. I knew Mr. Oliver would divide opinion, but I also knew that by analyzing and evaluating his talk that this would help greatly with the summative talk. I knew what I was doing, and the proof really was in the pudding! I look forward to Monday's class where we will revisit the journey we have all been on. Thank you for your reflections, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura MacDonald31 May 2018 at 10:28

    Let’s hope this works!

    When I first started college I seen Communication on the timetable and hoped to get a get out of ‘jail’ free card. I did Comms 4 before and then Communications for vocational purposes when I did my HNC and so I hoped that would be enough and to get a few free hours. It was not to be, and I’m glad that’s the case.

    I didn’t know what to expect from the unit to be honest but it has been really enjoyable. I think the unit is a great all-rounder that really increases your skills across the board. As you know I hope to go to uni in September and I think this unit in particular has really honed in my skills in areas that will be essential over the next four years.

    I think I have done well on the unit and my time management has been good. I have never considered time management my strong point but I do think I’m better at it than I initially gave myself credit for. I am grateful to Mark for his excellent planning skills and how well managed and timed the assessments have been. I can absolutely see how this unit could be chaotic if not well managed and I’ve taken notice of how you work, Mark, so I can try incorporate this type of planning as I go on to uni and ensure I’m not panicking at assessment/exam time and give myself enough time to breathe.

    I think the unit was really well paced and the assessments were well thought out and relevant.

    Thanks for an enjoyable class Mark, one of my favourites (most unexpected seeing I wanted to avoid the class, oops).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very kind Laura, thank you. Well I am glad that with my work practices being noticed, that I have passed that particular test, ha ha. You have indeed managed your time very well and you have been very good for the class with your regular input, so thank you for that. I am also reassured that my persuasion skills are still on point - YES, this Unit IS good for you all! Great stuff and thank you. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me sad!! ☹️
    End of an era guys!!!
    Communications has Defo and surprisingly been one of my fav subjects!! I do think the lecturer has a lot to do with this and I’m not so sure if someone else had taken this subject if it would have been as enjoyable and educational!!
    When I first started college this subject was a worry because my spelling,grammar and punctuation was awful- and I had zero confidence in my abilities especially when it comes to solo talks! However thanks to mark and the swapkins I have Defo faced and I would even say overcame my fears! I am well up for my PowerPoint presentation next week for Ryan’s class and that is something I never thought I would say!!! PMA has always been my thing and I know I’ve been a bit down and stressed lately so apologies to everyone for that!! But I’m back baby! Positive as ever- excited for our futures!! Grateful to have had such a brilliant class and role models in the lecturers! Uni has a lot to live up too!! Really wish I could take everyone with me! But onwards and upwards for us all......😀
    With regards to anything you could change Mark. I would advise you should pass on your knowledge and structure to other classes and lecturers because this subject has been the most organised, well communicated and best feed back! I have not felt phased at any point in this class and that’s Defo down to a fantastic structure and of course your wonderful blog!!!
    See you all Monday!! I’ll bring the hankies and the PMA xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, what wonderful comments, and I am so glad that you have got your Mojo back! Yes, the presentation was something you THOUGHT you would struggle with, but I did say right at the start, maybe even the very first class, that I had never come across anybody that I couldn't get up to do a competent presentation. Confidence building, sensible structuring, pinpointing appropriate research points and preparation are all key factors to contribute to presentation success. The way the class conducted themselves in terms of being collegiate should not be underestimated though. And even the Mhairi Black assessment sparked an unlikely (your words) interest in politics. Who would have believed that! See you Monday and thank you for your words, they are greatly appreciated. Nearly 6000 blog hits is genuinely mind blowing for me, I must confess. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the Mhari Black assessment- it’s half the battle if you enjoy what you are writing about!!! And I have a slight hangover in work today sonrhat article was also good for thought for me ha ha!!!
    And credit where credit is due- the blog is fab! I’m going to miss it!!!
    Kirsty 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Mark ditto what everyone else has said. I wasn't sure about even applying for the course in the first place,but I'm glad I did. Ten months on I can't believe how well I've done just a few more things to pass and onto understands hopefully.Thanks to you and others I've started to believe in myself again and my confidence has come back. So thank you very much for your comments throughout the year I've enjoyed your class. Your enthusiasm for your subject and your positivity towards myself has been an inspiration. Thank you very much Mark cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s all about the journey Andy on a SWAP
    Programme, and you’ll learn so much about yourself. And you have! I’m glad you feel you’ve produced good work and you’re always so engaged with your learning which goes a long way. I only wish I knew as much as you do about History, you’re the man for that! Well done on passing the Unit, hope it’s a nice boost for the weekend and I’ll see you all on Monday, for one last time! Cheers, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, what a journey this has been!
    Communications has been an amazingly interesting subject and I love how you always encouraged us to give our own opinion. This taught me that I can do this in a better way and has built my confidence, before I would do a lot of thinking without saying much but I am grateful to you for making me feel that not just mine but everyone's thoughts are equally as important and I've now been able to vocalise this which makes me feel good. Your motivation, organisation and especially enthusiasm for what you do - which you do so amazingly well, is something I will hold onto and aspire to be like. This subject has me loving Ted talks as well. I had never heard of them before but now I watch them all the time lol. I do start thinking about the tone the speaker is using and go into college mode ☺ but I believe that is a reflection of a great lecturer through what you have taught us all. Someone once told me that nothing is Impossible, not only did that make me smile, but it gave me self belief and my determination back. We've all been so lucky to have such a great lecturer! I will miss this class and everyone. I'm incredibly greatful for the time support and effort you have given, It is something I will never forget! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I don’t know how to reply to that, other than saying thank you so much. I just try to do my job to the best of my abilities but yes, it does help that I have a genuine love for the subject. Accepting we all have different opinions is so important and this often makes for some healthy conversation! The trick is to back it up, especially when in evaluation mode. I love that you’re a TED lover. I call it the Pringle effect; one talk and you can’t stop! Many thanks for your comments, what wonderful reflections to wake up to. Mark

      Delete
  14. Communications class has been one of the most important classes for me and I have learned a great deal from it. At the beginning of the academic year, I didn't quite understand what communications class would entail and just how important the class would be and how much I'd benefit from it. This class has taught me how to analyze source material, it has improved my confidence speaking in front of people when we had to do our presentations and most importantly my writing skills. I was introduced to Ted Talks which I downloaded to my phone and watch occasionally some of them really interest me. Looking back at my first pieces of writing and how I analysed texts in the first part of the year compared to now there is a huge difference and improvement thanks to the constructive criticism and feedback. Without this class I would have struggled to write essays or analyze material and I wouldn't have much confidence in myself. It has been a challenging but amazing year. Overall I think I did well compared to what I was like at the beginning of the year with no confidence or writing skills at all. I feel I just have to be more confident in my abilities and that I have been doing well as Rachel B pointed out in her feedback on my presentation. I will miss this class and of course the lecturer :). Monday will be a bittersweet day for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last ever blog post huh? Well, I know I haven't always been keeping up to date with the blog but I have thouroughly(sp?) enjoyed Communication as a class overall. Towards the end, it got a little debate-y watching those Ted Talks and putting up a fight with your own opinion is always fun (in my opinion anyway)

    For constructive critisism, I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand times, invest in a clock, a timer, I'm sure students could spare a few quid and chip in instead of having a heart attack with your time calls during presentations. Getting on to those presentations, I feel like that was my own strongest moment through-out the whole year and I also feel like I learned a lot by listening to others :)

    It's a sad time I have to say, leaving makes me want to return to college after the summer but we're all here to better ourselves and pursue our careers so I'm now Emma Hamilton-I'moffski

    Thank you for everything Mark and thank you to the entire class for sticking together along the way, I wish everyone the best ❤

    ReplyDelete
  16. First and last post on your blog! Took me a wee while to figure out how to comment lol!

    Comms is one class I thoroughly enjoyed. I love how it helped develop my skills in analysing, speaking out, writing etc. Especially with doing presentations in front of people! This class has certainly made me feel a lot more confident for going onto my HNC.

    I am very grateful for the feedback I have received in your class. In other classes which I don't receive feedback I sometimes feel a little disheartened because of the amount of effort I put into that piece of work, so I am very grateful for all the feedback you have given me as it has certainly helped me develop further!

    I'll miss your class Mark!
    I hope next years 'Swapkins' are as awesome as us!!!
    See you tomorrow for our last hurrah!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mark.
    Communications is a subject I have grown to appreciate more and more as the year has gone on. It has proved invaluable in providing me with the tools to go on and tackle other subjects in the course and I believe it will stand me in good stead for the future. So in that respect it has probably turned out to be the most important subject. That is obviously down to your effective teaching of the subject. There is a lot involved in communications but I feel that everything has been covered in a calm structured manner due to your organisation and planning. The same can't always be said in other classes, but I'll not name names 😉 So basically what I'm saying is thanks for all the help, feedback, insightful teaching and constructive criticism throughout the year. Enjoy the summer holidays once they finally get here and I hope you get a half decent bunch of swapkins like us next year. Thanks for all your help Mark 👍
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ps don't know why my mate Blair's photo is on my account 😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi mark,

    it’s the end of an era, but new beginnings to come. I have enjoyed every class without a doubt your fed back and your help thoughout has definitely made me confident and more motivated to keep going. Your teaching is out of this world and I can’t thank you enough for how much this has helped me grown.
    Will miss your classes a lot!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn’t have a clue at first of what I was going to get out of this class. The only thing I was thinking of was dreading going back into English class again. But I think I’ve learned more in your class than I did doing six years of English at high school. I enjoyed how you approached an assessment with the info we needed to progress and how we did mock assessments to prepare for them. I think your way of teaching has helped me immensely and has definitely helped me get through the course. The PowerPoint presentation and the last two listening assessments I enjoyed the most.By the end it was definitely one of my favourite classes.

    Thank you
    Steven

    ReplyDelete