Thursday 7 September 2017

Are Americanisms killing the English language?

Here is an article from the BBC website which you may wish to comment on.


So, do you think that 'Americanisms' are killing the English language?


Here is the link: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170904-how-americanisms-are-killing-the-english-language


Here are a few that infuriate me. Sorry if you use them - gotten, a half-hour, train station, oftentimes, period (instead of full stop).


Maybe I am just getting old, but I'm certainly not grumpy!


Mark



5 comments:

  1. Not at all. Our language is simply progressing with the times as it always has. Unfortunately some things just sound ridiculous to us but I guess that's how our grandparents felt about the English.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyable, funny article. I agree with Shannon, I don't think Americanism is taking over the English language but that the language is evolving as will always be the case. We notice it more so due to the world becoming a smaller place where travel and shared media is common.
    I don't think it's a worry as even within the uk there are regional differences in dialect...anyone been to Aberdeen or Newcastle?!
    I think our language changing is a sign of the times but there will always be differences.
    Personally there are some American phrases I never want to adopt, I mean who wants a 'fanny pack' ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat reflections, I'm digging them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the girls. Language is always evolving which is a positive but I wouldnt say that the American language is taking over. There are some phrases that I hope we never end up saying. Plus I like the fact that it makes us all unique and that we have these differences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the girls. Language is always evolving which is a positive but I wouldnt say that the American language is taking over. There are some phrases that I hope we never end up saying. Plus I like the fact that it makes us all unique and that we have these differences.

    ReplyDelete