Monday 4 September 2017

Moral Dilemmas Reflections

I thoroughly enjoyed the Moral Dilemmas session and it was a great exercise to get you thinking about the situation allocated to your group, forming a personal opinion, listening to the comments of your peers and articulating your thoughts individually and as a group.


I was impressed at the level of focus from the five groups today and you all performed very well indeed.

So what about the issue I have noted below? What are your thoughts? Pop your comments down in the comments box - your feedback counts!

Utah nurse arrested for refusing to hand over blood

The footage shows Alex Wubbels being arrested in Utah in July, after refusing to hand over a vial of a patient's blood to the police.
Salt Lake City's mayor, Jackie Biskupski, said the footage was "unacceptable".
In a statement, she said she extended Miss Wubbels "a personal apology for what she has been through, for simply doing her job".


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41131664/utah-nurse-arrested-for-refusing-to-hand-over-blood



8 comments:

  1. That is what you call someone absuing their power. Its like many laws nowadays, you need a warrent to get access/search a house, so why should it be any different for someones blood - which I personally think is if not more, just as serious. I agree with the nurse Alex, she has a duty of care to her patient which she carried out despite being wrongly condemed by a figure of authority.
    LMW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. It's a quite astonishing story. I wonder what my Nursing students will make of this? Keep the comments flowing everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above, her duty of care and confidentiality oaths mean more in this instance. very good story , enjoyed the morality debate also , Ashleigh xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the session on moral dilemmas. I liked listening to other members of the group and questioning my own reasons for the examples. This was a great way to get the class working together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great comments, thank you for taking the time out to articulate your thoughts. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the session on morale dilemmas, it was a great way to get talking to everyone & interesting to hear other thoughts on the same scenarios.
    I believe that the nurse in Utah was doing her job as she should, the police here trying to pressure her is not fair and she done well to stay so professional.
    Although the police officer is the one who arrested her I do believe his boss should also be held accountable, he talked about arresting her and if that pressure was not on the officer would he have left peacefully?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ** auto correct on my phone as led me astray on spelling whoops

      Delete
  7. I was horrified to see this although it seems reflective of a theme in the USA just now where officials (and airline staff!) abuse their power in extreme ways.
    I fully support the nurse who was correctly protecting her patient (who I note was an innocent victim in the whole affair!). The level of brutality shown by the officer is more like a school yard bully not getting his own way.

    Anyway, I enjoyed the moral dilemma session. It was food for thought as I always think of myself as 100% law abiding however realise i am prone to interpreting the law to suit my own beliefs!

    ReplyDelete